Saturday, October 28, 2006

Folkways Collection Episode 4

Same deal as the last. Random! This didn't make me want to talk as much as the last, but it was still okay, I guess.

1952 American Folk Music Harry Smith

Relationship between artistry and society. Deep commitment to presenting folk music as a vehicle for social change. Do we have folk music? I feel like there aren't many popular recent songs with a goal of social change. Ugh. I feel like such a goon for hating on the pop music industry so much, but it just comes up, you know?

Old people are so funny.

Simple/Amateurist

Uncle Dave Maken/Sam Magee "Buddy, Won't You Roll Down the Line"

Represented state of the art, trying to do there best in the present of when the music was made
Different types of hit
I liked "Judgement" Sister Rev. Mary Nelson
Stregnth of character

Carolia Tar Heels, "Farm Land Blues" ballad.

ballads, story songs, social music, dance music, religious music, sentimental music, and songs

Chubby Parker

Charlie Pool, "White House Blues"

wasn't interested in stuff to preserve a tradition

The Carter Family "Engine 143"

Song line-up: Social changes would result from this. McCarthy era. One recording...echoes another. Extends the one before or sets you up for the next.

Joseph ... more cajun.

"Moonshiner's Dance"

didn't state musician's race. Accepting the music on it's own merit.

Cannon's Jug Stoppers

Surrealistic lyrics Baskemlerkjz...."I Wish I Was a Mole in the Ground"

Blind Lemon Jefferson "See That My Grave is Kept Clean" frove to death.

"Fishin' Blues"

No comments: